Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Insane Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been doing a little reading on going "fast" in a TSX and have found that our stock gear ratios and weight is what holds us back some in the performance category. Gear ratios make sense, but the weight of the car doesnt.

An RSX Type S stock weighs around 2700lbs. Understandable that our sedan is fairly larger. When compared to a 8th Gen Civic Si sedan its still heavyer by a long shot when they are almost the same size. An 8th Gen Civic Si sedan weighs around 2900lbs. Our Euro R trim itself is only 3000lbs. But how?! How is it that our TSX weighs in at 3300lbs. Where is this fat coming from?

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Well for one thing, the seats and sound deadening are 2 big factors. Power seats are much heavier (30-40 lbs per seat) The Civic Si doesn't have any of these features.
The TSX is also a larger chassis as well. Its more similar to the 03-07 accord than it is with the 06-11 Civic Si.

It would be nice to find some simple easy ways to lighten the car up.. The one big thing a lot of people swear by is swapping in the 06-11 Si Gearset. the shorter gears make the car feel much peppier and less of a slouch.

I can personally vouch for this effect having experienced it in my 94 h22a accord. the OEM LSD trans went bad and I sourced a replacement, unfortunately I was scammed the trans turned out to be a f22a transmission from a prelude (4.03 FD vs 4.26 FD)
The difference was NIGHT AND DAY. It really did make the car feel heavier.
TSX's already have a 4.7 FD like the Civic Si's, but the shorter gear ratios between 1-5 (6th is same) make a big difference.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Edmunds and other sites I've seen state 3257 lbs. (yeah yeah) I thought it almost evened out since our cars have the torquier 2.4L version. Then there's the reflash which helps.

·
Insane Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i was thinking our power seats were heavy. im just curious how the Euro R weighs 300lbs less

·
Registered
714 Posts
im thinking about stipping out the trunk. i know it wont help much but it will help. all the trunk lining and stuff.

i have the type s so i dont have electric seats in mine, so i guess that saves.

one i do know is that on our 6th gen accord over here the typeR version the CH1 chassis had thinner glass in the windows to reduce weight and loads of other stuff. cant remember exactly what though

·
Insane Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im sure we can shave alot of weight with a cf trunk and hood too. lighter wheels/exhaust.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well like others have said, the extra weight is most likely from sound deadening and things such as heated seats which I love. She isn't light but I wouldn't call her fat. I like thick. It's a term of endearment in this case :). She has presence on the road and doesn't get swayed by crosswinds as much as my old accord. I would like her to sprint a little better with some hearing changes though.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
yea i was thinking our power seats were heavy. im just curious how the Euro R weighs 300lbs less
*leather power heated seats versus recaros
*leather rear seats versus fabric/cloth
*k24 versus k20
*trunk lining/sound deadening versus lack of (at least trunk liner)

All I can think of.

Any can confirm if euro R wheels are lighter? I know theyre 17x7 +55 as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
*k24 versus k20

All I can think of.

i dont think the wheels are any lighter, not that i know of anyway.

what is the weight difference between a k24 and a k20?

edit*

found this on k-series
1800-2350lbs = K20
2400-2700lbs = K24

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
*k24 versus k20

All I can think of.

About 20 lbs. according to this thread: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-wheels/8483-specs-euro-r-wheel.html '06 OEM wheels are 23 lbs. so yeah they are lighter.

I don't suggest getting a CF trunk to lighten the car. The overall weight will of course be lighter, but you're further degrading the handling characteristics by shifting the weight distribution further to the front.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts

·
Insane Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*k24 versus k20

All I can think of.

The difference between the above would count for some weight but not much at all.

i dont think the wheels are any lighter, not that i know of anyway.

what is the weight difference between a k24 and a k20?

edit*

found this on k-series
1800-2350lbs = K20
2400-2700lbs = K24
This to me would be the most logical explanation of the 300lb weight difference.

Well like others have said, the extra weight is most likely from sound deadening and things such as heated seats which I love. She isn't light but I wouldn't call her fat. I like thick. It's a term of endearment in this case :). She has presence on the road and doesn't get swayed by crosswinds as much as my old accord. I would like her to sprint a little better with some hearing changes though.
LMAO!! Ok she aint fat, she THICK! lols

So i think its safe to say that our weight difference from an Euro R is the engine, sound deadening, and interior marterials

·
Registered
114 Posts
Double wishbone suspension weights more, too. I'm sure there are luxury features and sound dampening that adds alot of weight.

If I were to put my car on a diet:

Lighter wheels (I'm doing that soon)
Lighter hood (stock hood feels HEAVY, I'm used to the aluminum hoods of Subaru and Miata)
Lighter battery

That alone should make a very noticeable difference in weight transfer, acceleration and handling.

I don't suggest getting a CF trunk to lighten the car. The overall weight will of course be lighter, but you're further degrading the handling characteristics by shifting the weight distribution further to the front.
I obviously haven't tried it and haven't experienced it. Will it really make the handling worse? My reaction is to lighten the front to hopefully decrease understeer, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be getting a new hood anytime soon anyway, just wondering. I've thought about getting a light-weight battery though, that's easy and cheap.

Stan

·
Registered
709 Posts
The OEM hood seems to be quite heavy. I'm wondering how much weight can be saved replacing it with a CF one ?
Also can the battery be moved to the trunk, like BMW has, to distribute the weight better between front and rear?
Has anyone done this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
If you wanna lose a big chunk of weight, take the back seats out, and swap your OEM exhaust for a J's single. The entire titanium catback weighed less than just my OEM passenger muffler (not any of the piping or the driver side muffler).

The VIS CF parts don't weigh much less (I think my hood weighs more) than the OEM parts, so if you are trying to lose weight with CF parts, you will need the expensive spoon and J's pieces. The cheap CF parts aren't light, the just look good :)

Taking out the spare tire of course takes a good chunk of weight out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can always get rid of your TrunkMonkey but then again why would you want to? that thing solves every type of a problem, super good to have handy in any situation :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8avOiTUcD4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
I obviously haven't tried it and haven't experienced it. Will it really make the handling worse? My reaction is to lighten the front to hopefully decrease understeer, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be getting a new hood anytime soon anyway, just wondering. I've thought about getting a light-weight battery though, that's easy and cheap.

Stan
Yes, I believe it would. Lightening the front is smarter. I'm no handling expert but I do know that optimal weight distribution is 50/50 front/rear. Ours is about 60/40 I believe. It's almost impossible to get 50/50 from a FWD car, though much easier with RWD because of the rear gearbox and driveshaft. In fact, even though those cars might weigh more, they'll handle better most of the time because of that weight distribution. The s2k is something like 49/51. In general, most RWD cars have decent weight distro.

·
-
1,624 Posts
A 3200 lb car , like the TSX, is not really that heavy.
It's the power to weight ratio that's the problem, ie. 3200lbs with a naturally aspirated 170 front wheel HP 4 cylinder engine.

The stiff 4 door chassis, all the options & airbags add up.

For comparison, my '89 5.0L Mustang is 3200lbs but has 325RWHP.

2012 5.0L Mustang, 3600lbs, 412 rated flywheel HP.
2012 6.2L Camaro, 3900lbs, 420 rated flywheel HP.
2012 6.2L Corvette, 3300lbs, 420+ rated flywheel HP.

Oranges to apples comparison but you can see the dramatic difference.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Power to weight ratio is still decent. 3,200lb 200HP car is 16lb/hp, 1988 CRX Si was 2011lbs and had 105HP -- 19lb/hp. It was a "fast" car and still does great in auto sports.

Stan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts