Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a Mitsubishi Gallant 4 cyl recently and it was MUCH peppier than my TSX. I just don't get it, it feels like the car was deliberately made to not accelerate fast.

It doesn't have to be like that either, I love almost everything else about the car but I just can't get over the lack of torque. Even a little bit extra horsepower would have made a big difference. Why give it such amazing handling and sporty looks and then make it one of the slowest cars in its class? It's puzzling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you sure the Galant is actually faster at accelerating or did it just feel that way? It weights the same and has less power, maybe the 4EAT is making it feel quicker since it isn't shifting as much? It should be a good amount slower if you are actually going to put the 2 cars up against each other, physics are physics.

This isn't a race car, though IMO it has very decent power and is pretty quick. Main reason it's not faster is because of it's power to weight ratio, same with all other cars and motorcycles out there.

Stan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the Galant is actually faster at accelerating or did it just feel that way? It weights the same and has less power, maybe the 4EAT is making it feel quicker since it isn't shifting as much? It should be a good amount slower if you are actually going to put the 2 cars up against each other, physics are physics.

This isn't a race car, though IMO it has very decent power and is pretty quick. Main reason it's not faster is because of it's power to weight ratio, same with all other cars and motorcycles out there.

Stan
Not entirely sure could be. I realize why scientifically it is slower, I'm asking why they designed it that way.

It could have more low end power than the TSX while the TSX has more high end?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Galant probably has more low end torque making you think it's faster as the TSX has zero and mostly high end.

Is yours manual or auto? The manual isn't fast, but it's a world's difference than the auto. I agree though that it should be a little faster.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could be, but how fast the car is would be ultimately dependent on it's maximum horsepower. So, basically, all else being relatively equal, car with higher horsepower will come out ahead.

People badmouth Hondas for not having much torque at lower range, but I come from a turbocharged torque monster Subaru and actually almost prefer the peaky nature of the TSX -- it makes it more fun to drive IMO.

I had a rental 2012 Mercedes C250 for a couple of weeks, it has a 1.8 liter turbocharged engine which makes more torque in the lower RPM, but HP is about the same as TSX. It did feel pretty good, but I have a feeling the 2 cars would be pretty much even in an actual race. Audi and VW tend to tune their cars the same way -- much low-end punch, usually by using a turbo on a smaller size engine.

Stan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be, but how fast the car is would be ultimately dependent on it's maximum horsepower. So, basically, all else being relatively equal, car with higher horsepower will come out ahead.

People badmouth Hondas for not having much torque at lower range, but I come from a turbocharged torque monster Subaru and actually almost prefer the peaky nature of the TSX -- it makes it more fun to drive IMO.

I had a rental 2012 Mercedes C250 for a couple of weeks, it has a 1.8 liter turbocharged engine which makes more torque in the lower RPM, but HP is about the same as TSX. It did feel pretty good, but I have a feeling the 2 cars would be pretty much even in an actual race. Audi and VW tend to tune their cars the same way -- much low-end punch, usually by using a turbo on a smaller size engine.

Stan

Yeah but who cares about high end power? That doesn't matter to most people unless you are street racing, which most aren't with a TSX. For all practical use, low end torque is all that matters.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Yeah but who cares about high end power? That doesn't matter to most people unless you are street racing, which most aren't with a TSX. For all practical use, low end torque is all that matters.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.
Torque is how far you'll move the wall once it is hit.

Horsepower and torque go hand in hand so your question is a bit confusing. Also, I think your scenario is a bit too simple because there is a lot more going on than just horsepower and torque when you drive, like RPM's, power bands, etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm with Stan, my previous car was a 337wtq Scooby, and I miss it, but the smooth revs and high range torque of the TSX is a nice difference. Not better, but enjoyable still.

Your TSX is probably faster than the Galant, but the TSX doesn't feel fast, that's just the way it is.

With a few inexpensive bolt-on mods it will start to feel kinda fast in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I actually do care about total power. When I'm merging onto the freeway as fast as possible to keep up with traffic, I need all the power I can get. To get off the line quicker isn't as important to me in a street situation. Now, if we were talking about towing, yes, I agree that low end torque will be more important.

Keep in mind that horsepower isn't real, it is a product of torque and RPM.

Stan

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Not sure bout you guys but I find my TSX perfectly fine in speed. I drove a TL Type-S before this so I mean it was a downgrade but I really am impressed with an inline 4 engine, especially after the Hondata Reflash. Huge improvement. Although I really think this will be my last inline 4 or even last jap car. Really want to visit the german world... :p

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a manual 2.4L 4-cylinder Mitsubishi Eclipse, before this automatic TSX.

Not a fair comparison since the TSX is heavier and automatic, but all I can say is the Mitsubishi felt like it has more lower end torque, but lack high end power.

Which year of the galant did you tested?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny, I had an Eclipse before the TSX also. (Both stick). Both cars seemed about equal to me...and that leads back to something RL692 brought up: manual vs. auto. In the car magazine tests, the 1G TSX 6MT has shown a 0-60 of about 6.9-7.4 seconds...the 5AT is more like 7.8-8.0. (Due to the lightweight magnesium transfer case, the manual version actually weights less than the auto, too.)

But it goes beyond that. With a high-revving engine like this, the peak HP and torque resides in the area the auto rarely goes: AFTER the VTEC kicks in. Quite simply, it is easier to access it with the stick, (or using the manual feature on the auto -- but most people don't use it much, honestly.) If I am in need of power, I drop into a gear where VTEC will come into play and it jumps.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I kind of find it hard to believe that the mitsubishi galant is faster. Comparing AT to AT, the 0-60 in the galant is like 9.0-9.5 secs vs ~8.0 for AT tsx. But like others said, the galant probably has more low end torque making it feel faster but quickly falls on its face in higher speeds. The TSX is no where a near fast car but it isn't horribly slow either

stock 2011 2.4L mitsubishi galant:

stock 04 tsx auto:

and just for fun I did a 0-60 time of mine with a few mods(UR pulleys, CT intake, hondata):

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I kind of find it hard to believe that the mitsubishi galant is faster. Comparing AT to AT, the 0-60 in the galant is like 9.0-9.5 secs vs ~8.0 for AT tsx. But like others said, the galant probably has more low end torque making it feel faster but quickly falls on its face in higher speeds. The TSX is no where a near fast car but it isn't horribly slow either

stock 2011 2.4L mitsubishi galant: 2011 Mitsubishi Galant 0-60 speed/time - YouTube

stock 04 tsx auto: 2004 Acura TSX 0-60 - YouTube

and just for fun I did a 0-60 time of mine with a few mods(UR pulleys, CT intake, hondata): 2004 Acura TSX 0-60 hondata - YouTube
Damn....I guess it is just those first 2-4 seconds off the line that stands out

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.