Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
12/08/04 - I've recently experienced the problem some here have refered to in the past. During more aggressive braking, sometimes the driver seat will lurch forward a half inch or so, and then slide back once I stop. I brought it into the dealer and was told "This is normal behavior". I said what? How come I have never experienced this in any of my other cars? Well he said, the driver seat mechanism has "teeth" in which it locks on to when you adjust it. There should be some movement within about a 1/2 inch or so. I can't believe this is normal. Can anyone else comment on this?'

12/31/04 update - If you are experiencing this problem, we have contacted Acura Client Services, and are trying to get them to do something about it. Their official position is that seat movement is normal up to 1/8 inch. Please PM me if your have this same problem. Read the entire thread to get some good information on the issue.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I've had this problem on my TSX before. The service advisor told me it was "normal" as well, but I told them to check into it and low and behold they find that the driver's seat wasn't properly lined up on the rails. They fixed the problem and I don't feel it slide anymore when I brake or accelerate.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my car is in the shop right as we speak. I'll notify the service advisor about this.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
All this dealership BS. There's no such thing of this issue being a "normal operation". This is in fact a cause for safety hazard. Under any circumstances, the seats should not be moving or move unless you do it yourself.

Imagine when you're driving, you take a turn and suddenly the seat slides backwards and you loose foothold of the pedal ... That can immediately become a fatality especially for people who have short reach of the pedals to begin with. ½ inch means alot when you look at it from this aspect.

Get them to fix it, dismantle the seats from the rails or replace the whole seat assembly including the rails if this persists. This is one serious issue I wouldn't take lightly if they don't have the right mind to get it resolved promptly.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right. I dunno why I didn't press it more on him. He actually stated the RSX, and MDX do the same things. I was thinking in my head "this is my last acura".

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
If he's working for me, he'd be fired if I found out he said something like that to a customer. This is clearly an endangering concern that is a timebomb waiting to be exploded.

My CL9 ala your TSX doesn't do that, I believe we have the same seats. While our MDX doesn't have this problem as well, since our MDX is manufactured and exported from the Americas, this has to be the closest match. The RSX is not applicable to use because we have the Integra Type R instead.

Those comparisons are clear, that they have a problem or more like a manufacturing defect which they seem to have no clear intention of getting it resolved accurately.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Like Noel said -- it's BS.

My TSX doesn't do it, nor did any other car I've ever owned or driven. But it does happen on many TSX's.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Yeah...your dealership is BSing you... The seats should not move unless moved by you via controls...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Noel said:
Do I smell a recall coming soon?
Good question -- and I guess it depends on whether this would be considered a potentially dangerous condition. Dunno, but it seems to me that's the usual criterion.

And when you think about it, that's hard to define. For example, look at the thing about the lighting of the buttons/controls on the center stack. (Most people call it the "center console" but that's something else.) Many, many TSX's have developed this problem -- those buttons are supposed to light up when the headlights are on, but after a few thousand miles or so, they stop lighting up. As I see it, this MOST DEFINITELY is a dangerous condition, because even though it doesn't affect the basic operation of the car, it causes you to do things that somewhat distract you from the road -- either poke around blindly or turn on an interior light -- unless you just give up using the climate control and the sound system at night, which I don't think anybody does.

In any event, I'd say this driver seat problem also most definitely is a dangerous condition.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I told my service advisor about our conversation here. He had the tech examin it, and the tech told him there is a long screw which connects the motor to the seat rails, and if the screw is too tight, then the power seat will not work at all. With the screw at normal torque, the seat should be shifting only 1/8 of an inch. I will report this to Acura client services to see if this is normal behavior. I would also suggest anyone else experiencing this problem to report it as well. Later I will post a phone number/case number here.

I have posted my letter and service documents.

Attachments

·
your mom goes to college
120 Posts
I am experiencing these problems as well.With the electronic seats i fit the seat most like a bucket. and almost everytime i go to drive after stopping, i have to adjust the front of the seat up about a quarter to half an inch.I am 6-6 and when i go to move the seat all the way back, whenever it reaches its final point it turns the seat to the left about half an inch,extremely uncomfortable.Im gonna go to the dealership within the next couple days and have it checked out.

The only problem is, should i be concerned with having my CAI and headers in whenever i go to have it checked out,concerning warranty issues and all...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
houstontsx said:
The only problem is, should i be concerned with having my CAI and headers in whenever i go to have it checked out,concerning warranty issues and all.
Not that I'm aware of, you're addressing a problem with the interior seating not an engine or intake concern. They should not be noting or even paying attention to whatever else other than what they should be fixing.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
houstontsx said:
.....when i go to move the seat all the way back, whenever it reaches its final point it turns the seat to the left about half an inch.....
I think that's a new one, isn't it?

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I received a phone call from "George" at Acura Client Services today. He reported that seat movement is NORMAL!!! He also indicated the seat will not move so much if it is at the very front or very far back positions. Unfortunately most of the population is not either very short or very tall. He gave me several options:

1) Have another dealership attempt to diagnosis to see if there is a problem
2) Test drive other TSXs to determine if the seat moves more/less than mine
3) Have the dealership anchor the seat down, which will prevent it from moving, but will also prevent it from being adjusted at all

If anyone else is upset over this as I am, I suggest you call Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238 ask for George, and report the same problem to him.

He described solution #3 as a point of diminishing returns. If the dealership continues to torque that seat tighter and tighter, it may A) grind on the tracks when you move it B) move much slower and surge the motor or C) not move at all. Therefore it is a very delicate balance of how tight the seat can be.

He also mentioned that a newer TSX (under 1000 miles) will not move as much as one that has higher miles, and therefore test driving new TSXs may prove futile.

Also he indicated that cars such as S2000 and Corvette have very heavy duty seat tracks, and therefore these cars seats do not move (in order to not lose control on hairpin turns). Unfortunately Acura continues to try to balance comfort, stability, price etc...so this would not be a realistic option.

I guess the last option is to ask a government agency of some kind to see if driver seat movement is considered dangerous. This could potentially force Acura into recalling the driver seat.

Any comments will be helpful.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
pocketkiller said:
Also he indicated that cars such as S2000 and Corvette have very heavy duty seat tracks, and therefore these cars seats do not move (in order to not lose control on hairpin turns). Unfortunately Acura continues to try to balance comfort, stability, price etc...so this would not be a realistic option.
What a load of BS. That is not only non-factual but highly unaccurate. I cannot see how this should not be resolved. Replace the seat rails and assembly, test and align. Continue replacement process until problem is resolved. This is part of the warranty agreement.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts