Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just called umbra tinting in suburbs of Chicago (people say they are the best?)

Anyways the guy quoted me $240 for all around. Then he asks what kind of car I have I say 2006 tsx.

He then proceeds to tell me there is an extra $25 charge per door window because he has to do something to them so when you roll up the windows the tint doesnt scratch?

So $340 is wayyy too much right? And what is this $25 process that he is talking about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
That is actually a very accurate quote if you are going to go below the legal limit. The extra $25 is to change the window sills to felt instead of the ceramic that it is now. It is not guaranteed that the tints will scratch with the ceramic but it is highly likely and happened on my Accord. $25 extra per window is better than having scratched up tints in my opinion.

·
pedal damn it
2,876 Posts
most places charge about $10-25 extra per door to do the felt/moleskin on the trim to prevent the tint from scratching.

what u really want to pay attention to is the type and quality of tint that is being offered. a full tint can range anywhere from $100-500. yes $500!!! do a search on google for Formula One Pinnacle or Huper Optik and u will see what i'm talking about. those are top quality ceramic tints.

there are numerous tints out there:
metallic
semi-metallic
dyed
reflective
ceramic

what u have to do is decide how much u are willing to spend and then go from there. more important than the tint itself is the workmanship of the place installing the tint.

GL!

almost forgot to ask...what brand/type of tint are they offering u?

·
Registered
165 Posts
For comparison I got all windows except windshield tinted with FormulaOne Comfort 30 for $210 w/tax in Orlando. The offered the put moleskin on each window for $15. I declined and did it myself later for $30.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude just kept on saying top of the line film didnt mention a brand name. Really wanted to do business with the guy because he comes so highly recommended but 340 is way out of my price range.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As said before though, you pay for what you get. You might be able to get it done cheaper but you may have to end up going back a few times for bubbling tints. Whereas if you go to a highly recommended shop which may cost more, they'll truly take care of you. You could end up going back to one shop to get the tints redone because of a crappy job or you could have it done flawlessly the first time. It all depends on where you go though.

·
pedal damn it
2,876 Posts
dude just kept on saying top of the line film didnt mention a brand name. Really wanted to do business with the guy because he comes so highly recommended but 340 is way out of my price range.
for all u know it might be some cheap tint that he's marking up.

ask him again and tell him to be specific. brand/type?

write it down and shop around town for quotes.

if u get similar quotes for this "top of the line" tint then go there if that's what u really want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The quote seems fairly accurate. I have had my previous car tinted at Umbra and have had no probems in the past. He does a really good job.

If I remember correctly when I had my 4-door Nissan tinted at Umbra, it ran around $250 out the door.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just going to go with a cheaper service. At $130 I figure I can always get a new tint job couple years down the line if the first one fails.

·
pedal damn it
2,876 Posts
just going to go with a cheaper service. At $130 I figure I can always get a new tint job couple years down the line if the first one fails.
U don't have to go the cheap route. Remember u get what u pay for.

I paid $300 when the same everywhere else cost $420-500!

Quality, workmanship, and reasonable price should be ur priority. Do it once, do it right!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
U don't have to go the cheap route. Remember u get what u pay for.

I paid $300 when the same everywhere else cost $420-500!

Quality, workmanship, and reasonable price should be ur priority. Do it once, do it right!
well this one guy tinted my friends is350 and many other lexus forum members cars and he's had his tints for 4 years with no problems so I assume he is ok. I getting final confirmation from him but I believe it's $150. Sounds reasonable to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts