Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know - I had a remote starter installed last week and the program on the remote for keyless entry adds several useful options:

1. Press lock twice and your windows go UP - yeah! I need to have them re-program the windows down feature though, because they put it on the trunk button instead of unlock, so when I put the windows down, the trunk opens?? The remote does not open or close the moonroof.

2. Can set the car to automatically lock 30 seconds after the engine is turned off and all the doors close

3. Can set to automatically lock when put in "drive" and unlock when put back in "park."

4. Horn notification on/off

5. Of course, remote start up to 3/4 miles away. The security seems well thought out also. If you open the hood, hit the brake pedal, move the steering wheel, release the parking break or set off the alarm, the engine stops immediately. Also, it automatically shuts off after 20 minutes. To drive the car, you just unlock the doors with the remote and put the key in and turn to the "on" possition. There is a slight "click" sound to indicate that the key code has been accepted and the car is ready to drive.

I had a CompuSTAR system installed. As a side note, the installer said the same system in Canada has a remote distance of 3 miles, but the FCC limits the frequency in the US. Total price was $249 installed plus $35 to program the remote. Well worth it for these cold midwest winter mornings, in my opinion...

What I don't like:
Well, while you can remote start 3/4 miles away, that also means you can unlock the car from that distance. You need to be extremely carefull because accidentally hitting a button can expose your car at quite a distance. Also, the "re-lock" feature where if you don't open the doors after they unlcok has a delay of 2 minutes instead of 15 seconds like the factory keyless entry.

The installer said the factory keyless is still active and should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

Antenna - There is a small antenna (about the size of an external car phone antenna) at the top of the window on the passenger side. It is inside the car and placed horizontal behind the sun tint - connected to the electricity in the mirror. Not really noticable at all. The installer said they can be hidden, but that is the best place to ensure the longest distance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah I have remote start on my 6sp too. You just have to be careful to not leave it in gear, or else your car will come to life w/o you in it!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
awesome write up:) i'm very interested in an aftermarket alarm like the compustar or the viper. i'm not very familiar with alarms..but how many outputs did the compustar come with? do you need to pay extra if you want more features added? like trunk pop..windows up/down..and which model did you get?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the automatic, so I don't have to worry about the car taking off - you may want to check the add-on features though, because the compustar system for manual trans has sensors to know if it's in gear or not and will prevent it from starting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
phase - I did not go with their security options and stuck with the factory alarm for now. Clarification - the security I was speaking of in my write up was for the remote start, not an alarm system - sorry for the confusion on that one! It was about $100 to add an alarm. Based on the systems I saw, I was most impressed with Viper and Compustar in their technology. It came down to the Compustar being cheaper. I believe Viper has more options on the alarm though, such as GPS tracking.

The remote has 2 auxilary features - the place I went charged $35 to program each, but they didn't charge me for the window feature because they said it didn't work (I later found it was because they programmed it to the wrong button - the trunk release). If I were to do it over again, I would not have had them program the trunk because of the risk of accidentally opening from such a distance. I usually just use the button on the back with the doors unlocked anyway. I have the rear spoiler which weighs down the trunk lid, so I don't have the convenience of it opening all the way for me when it's "popped."

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just had mine remote start done on my car bout 2 weeks ago. i got the clifford matrix 3.5 series.i can get the windows and all the other stuff done also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank god i used search!
Great post! :ben:
I have a compustar alarm/starter model 2w8000fmr (3000) and would like to get the windows up/ down feature. Is this alarm/starter similar to your starter? Could you tell me who your installer was? I'd like to see if there's any documentation on how to do this online so i can forward it to my installer.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where did you purchase this and where was it installed? Best Buy or something? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think BB carries CompuSTAR's that plus whatever you get from there is usually more expensive than you can get from other dealers...

Is there any reason I should be weary of getting a compuSTAR system for my TSX? i had one on my civic and i LOVED it.. the only thing i think i'd be missing out on would be the memory seats but i'm the only one that drives this car so i guess that's a non-issue right? or is there something that i'm over looking?

I'd be considering the CompuSTAR 2wfm900a/s (alarm & starter)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts