Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield is cracked in 2 spots from rocks flying at the car on the freeway. I called around and found out that it is not easy to find a "honda" replacement. Meaning, the windshield is made from LAMISAFE, which is a japan glass company that supplies honda with their windshield. Honda/TSX dealers do not stock the glass and they all refer me to vendors who specialize in windshield replacement.

So far, in So. Cal. no one carries Lamisafe (or not that I know of), and they said I have to use other glass made from glass companies in the USA, such as PPG or Pinkerton. I prefer to keep it all "stock" as much as possible because of my paranoia of fitment, warping, matching the dot matrix, sealment, etc. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated it, esp. with those who had to had their windshield replaced.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
PPG (now PGW) is an excellent glass manufacturer. I asked-for and received a PGW replacement windshield from a local installer and it's been better than the original. The original Honda glass got sand-pitted really quickly -- the PGW/PPG stuff is still looking crystal clear after 2+ years.

PGW also manufacturers "Aquapel". This stuff is amazing. Rain-X on steroids. Look at getting it at the same time as your windshield is installed. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windshield replacement

Through the recommendation of AAA, I had my '05 TSX windshield replaced by All Star Glass (Van Nuys), great price, come to your home or business and a year warranty. They use the same manufacture windshield as Honda/Acura. Check them out, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced on my 2006 with a PGW glass. So far, I am very satisfied and all the matrix dots matches with the mirror and upper area. Paid only $170 and got a Acura loaner for the day.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
PPG (now PGW) is an excellent glass manufacturer. I asked-for and received a PGW replacement windshield from a local installer and it's been better than the original. The original Honda glass got sand-pitted really quickly -- the PGW/PPG stuff is still looking crystal clear after 2+ years.

PGW also manufacturers "Aquapel". This stuff is amazing. Rain-X on steroids. Look at getting it at the same time as your windshield is installed. :)
I replaced my windshield with PPG/PGW due to curls suggestion over a year ago and no problems so far. Honda glass sucks. I replaced mine not because I had a big chip, but because of the horrible sand-pitting.

Usually, aftermarket products are superior to Honda EXCEPT in two areas I have come to find out: axles and motor mounts. If those need replaced, stick with Honda.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you are really anal about keeping your window OEM Honda/Acura brand then check out the oem acura part sites , just google "oem acura parts" and you will have your choice of part sites , i was browsing though some of them and seen the front windshield listed on few sites, if i remember correctly the front windshield is in high $500 range , however i do agree with most of you guys Honda windows are notorious for sand pitting , i hate that $hit , it was a problem with my 2000 Si , so far my 08 TSX isnt bad ( knock on wood ) but it only has 38K on it , anyone know of any sand pitting preventive products ? other than laying a clear bra on my front windshield lol ???

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm not sure about the wax and sealant man lol i mean it's an idea but I find it kind of hard to believe that 2 layers of micro thin material would withstand a hit from a grain of sand at 60+ mph ??? Don't get me wrong I thought about it myself but a layer of wax and a layer of sealant is probably thinner than a human hair no ???

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lol, okay. I figured it wouldn't hurt. Talking to my distributor, cause I detail cars. He stated that there's nothing you can really do about pitting. He told me putting a sealant would help protect against acid rain but would only last so long due to using your wipers or using alcohol based window cleaner. Acid rain stains the windows.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts