Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts how the TSX will handle in the winter. Where I live there'll be lots of rain and snow. I hope the TSX will handle it well and going up the mountains.

I'm also thinking of equipping it with a roof rack for the winter season, snowboarding. Does anyone know which racks would be the best?

your comments, opinions and thoughts are appreciated!

:jump:

S

·
0 Posts
I had a Thule rack + ski box on my Avenger and the quality was top notch. A bit pricy but definitely worth it. I have not tried to put it on my TSX yet though.

·
TSX Fanatic
28 Posts
For the snowy season, dedicated winter tires are highly recommended. The FWD with 60% weight in front helps the drive tires keep traction marginally, though I think you might encounter problems with the allseasons going up a snow layered mountain road.

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yakima

I've only found Yakima to carry the proper racks for the 2004 TSX.

http://www.yakima.com/home.html

I'm thinking of getting the hitch, less chance of scratching the car if I load the equipment on the back rather than the roof.

undecided...

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone tried or seen roof racks on a TSX? Please post some photos if you come across any. I LOVE my sports, and I LOVE my TSX.
Thanks a lot!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Don't know about the "mountains" part, but regarding the rest of it -- snow, ice, etc. -- my experience was that the TSX is very, very good, and as you know, last winter was maybe the worst on record, so that's saying a lot.

But we've had disagreement on this. Some people say the car (with stock tires, that is) was only "OK."
Some of the discussion is on this other recent thread (I'm jumping you right to one of my own posts on it):

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30732&highlight=winter#post30732

Beginning a few posts below that, there's additional discussion on it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
The car will handle the snow just fine and you'll be fine with the stock tires. I had no problems at all last year. However if I've got the money when the time comes I'll be getting a set of snow tires for winter anyway.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
and as you know, last winter was maybe the worst on record, so that's saying a lot.
As measured by total winter snowfall in Central Park?

Nope...

Not even close!

http://home.att.net/~ny_climo/

As far as the TSX, I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2s on Accord LX V6 16" steel rims, and ... well, the TSX is "OK" in the snow, OK but not spectacular. But last winter I found myself grabbing the keys to my '98 Volvo on Michelin Arctic Alpins whenever snow was forecast. There are enough cold-weather details that were missed in the TSX/Accord that I wondered if it ever really gets cold in Saitama, Japan, and from what I could find, it doesn't.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Interesting -- that's just unbelievable!
Not that I don't believe it.

I'd guess that what it must be is....."total snowfall" doesn't tell the main story of what we're talking about and what we mean when we think of how bad a winter was, including in terms of driving.

What I mean about last winter was the relentless succession of very heavy snowfalls. Don't know if Bob can find a graph for that (wouldn't put it past him!), but anyway we could get into debates on what should be the criteria for "very heavy snowfall."

I'd bet that last winter was indeed close to a record on that, at least in recent history like the last 40 years. As to fact of the total snowfall not being close to a record, my first impression is it must mean that in between those severe snowfalls in didn't snow much. And, "upon further review," that's indeed what my memory tells me. What I do mainly remember is that after the second heavy snowfall, it seemed like maybe it was all over, which probably was because it didn't snow much for a while. And then the same thing after the 3rd. And the 4th.

How many "severe snowfalls" were there in the northeast last winter anyway? I'm pretty sure it was at least 4, and maybe 5.

P.S. Even using "total snowfall" as the criterion, you can see that even though last winter wasn't close to a record, it was WAY WAY ABOVE AVERAGE.
So, for the subject of this thread, if the TSX did okay last winter, that is indeed saying a lot.
But I do think the more relevant criterion is that other thing -- number of very severe snowfalls.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Waaaay back when, when I was young, and Men were REAL men...

women were REAL women, and winters were REAL winters....

larchmont said:
What I mean about last winter was the relentless succession of very heavy snowfalls. Don't know if Bob can find a graph for that (wouldn't put it past him!), but anyway we could get into debates on what should be the criteria for "very heavy snowfall."
I remember that "spike" on the chart very well because I was commuting into NYC that winter. THAT winter I got to learn all about track switch heaters, catenary wires and pantographs (The catenary wires collapsed on my commuter train line, shutting down the entire line.) After one big storm I couldn't even get out of my driveway for 2 days.

2003-2004 wasn't bad.

I agree that the TSX is definitely "OK" in the snow.

If it's sitting on snow tires. :D

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roof Racks

Anyone tried installing roof racks?? Any photos?? Please post!
Sports and my TSX. :chebosto:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I live in Quebec, where we get hit pretty hard all winter. Last winter, I found the TSX to handle great in the snow, with snow tires of course. I have 16-in. Yokohamas mounted on steel rims.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
tony4311 said:
The car will handle the snow just fine and you'll be fine with the stock tires. I had no problems at all last year. However if I've got the money when the time comes I'll be getting a set of snow tires for winter anyway.
It's not a question of money, it should be a priority if you live where snow is a factor for months on end. Maybe I'm extra cautious, but I wouldn't dream of driving my TSX with the stock tires in winter... I guess it depends on how rough winter is where you live. Here in Montreal, winter is rough...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Typeaccord said:
For the snowy season, dedicated winter tires are highly recommended. The FWD with 60% weight in front helps the drive tires keep traction marginally, though I think you might encounter problems with the allseasons going up a snow layered mountain road.

Agreed.... I had my TSX through last winter, I live in michigan. It was ok most of the time, I did NOT have winter tires, which I am sure will help BIG time... i did slide a bit, there was always one intersection which i would have to stop half a mile before hand... but that was because they never cleared out the ice there... :-\ first couple times i slid right through the red light! lol overall it handles pretty good :-D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I drove my TSX last winter in some snowy and icey conditions with no problems. I just drive slow and use 2nd or 3rd gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts