Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on cel shading a picture of my wife's TSX. Here's where it stands so far. I've never done this before, but I'm getting the hang of it! Note that I haven't yet tackled the tough bits - wheels and headlights. I'll update as it goes along if anybody's interested.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Ya know, I had a feeling I put it in the wrong forum right after I submitted it. Thanks for relocating it for me!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Very cool!:cool:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
that's pretty sweet!!

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joerockt said:
Cool. Is that computer or hand drawn?
Well, it's hand-traced on a computer, if that makes sense. I started with a picture of the car, then I used the Pen tool to draw vectored curves tracing off the profiles. Then I used those vectors and several different thicknesses of Paintbrush to fill in the linework. After I finish up the linework, I'll color in the body panels, glass, etc. in a flatter, more comic-book style in order to make the whole thing look hand drawn.

But yeah, I am drawing it all manually - there's no automatic tool to trace the image or anything.

Here's an image that kind of explains it. I faded out the white background to let the original photograph shine through.

I didn't make much progress today - just the front wheel - because somehow I lost most of the vector paths for all the details like the door handles, grille, etc. I still have the bitmapped tracing, but I can't retrace the original linework anymore. I'll have to be careful from here on out. Lesson learned - like I said, I've never done this before.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
:thumbsup: Duke!!

Reminds me of when I started photochopping...I didn't utilize layers for each addition to an image and ended up having everything merged so it was close to impossible to change/edit stuff that I had allready done.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: more or less finished the linework, moving into color... This image is reduced to a little over half size.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
sweet

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Starting to work my way back. The transparency of the headlights is proving tricky... gotta figure it out in small scale before I get to the glass. Thanks for the support, guys!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Awesome, Duke! I can't wait to see the finished pic.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I really appreciate all the good words. I don't have a lot of time to work on this, and I'm teaching myself as I go along, so it feels like I've spent forever on it. You guys are keeping me going.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
looks kinda like periwinkle... :thumbsup:

TRU- who likes the werd periwinkle :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I think thats the first time I heard the word periwinkle.:D

Chen, who wonders what periwinkle means.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts