Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a RRC intake being my first upgrade work on a stock 05 TSX ? just wondering. I want to start upgrading things on my tsx slowly but surely and was thinking if going with that first? Ultimately and eventually i will prob be getting the Hondata as well as the needed 08 TSX Ecu to make it work and a J37 TB and other needed parts as i get around to it. Thanks for any needed input ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With no other mods, the gains would not be noticeable for you. Put the money towards FlashPro first and build up from there. Another easy upgrade would be to remove the resonator of the intake system.
that would mean i would have to get a 08 ecu and then get it programmed by hondata have my keys re programmed to the new ecu i mean yes its something i will have to do eventually but should it be the first thing ? I am not apposed to it I just dunno any input would help thanks guys ;)

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
I agree with awoc. If you get FlashPro, yes, you'll need an 07/08 ECU but it doesn't get programmed by Hondata. You have to go to a Honda/Acura dealership to get them to pair the new ECU with your immobilizer. Also, as soon as you get FlashPro up and running, you can load some of the different calibrations it comes with and instantly feel a difference. If you get a RRC but can't tune your ECU and can't feel it, what's the point? If you get FlashPro first, you'll be able to get the most out of each additional mod you put on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with awoc. If you get FlashPro, yes, you'll need an 07/08 ECU but it doesn't get programmed by Hondata. You have to go to a Honda/Acura dealership to get them to pair the new ECU with your immobilizer. Also, as soon as you get FlashPro up and running, you can load some of the different calibrations it comes with and instantly feel a difference. If you get a RRC but can't tune your ECU and can't feel it, what's the point? If you get FlashPro first, you'll be able to get the most out of each additional mod you put on.
Yeah i was thinking that prob is the best way , Now maybe you or someone can answer some questions about how this will work ok lets say i get the 08 ecu at what point should i take it to acura and have them program it to my keys ? Before of after the FlashPro? I have never used Any Hondata programming yet so just asking. correct me if i am wrong if i just put the 08 ecy in my car becayse its not programmed to the imobolizer it siminy will not work at all unless i take it to Acura correct? and if thats correct do i drive it into acura with the ecu thats in there and say HEY install this new ecu and make it linked with my keys and imobolizer? lol sorry if these are already asked questions i just dont want any un planned down time for my car ya know lol. Thanks again ;)

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
You have to go to the dealership with your old ECU. If you put the new ECU in without pairing it to the immobilizer, it won't work. Once at the dealership, they will probably drive you car into one of their service bays and do the swap for you. That's what my dealership did. If they only do the programming and won't do the ECU swap for you, it's not difficult to do on your own in the parking lot. Hondata provides full instructions with the FlashPro unit.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
Food for thought: I totally/completely agree with what AWOC and Willy have written, but I would think, starting with the Hondata too, might not be the best "starting" mod... IMO a better flowing header would be the first choice, getting those gasses out of the engine asap... the restrictive oem header causes havoc.... adding the Flashpro, optimizing what the engine is doing with the fuel/air, but still trying to "force" it through the same ol header, would be even less productive, no?? (adding even more backpressure). Your oem cat and cat-back are ok as is, depending on where you plan on taking your car. If you added a good/reasonable header, then getting the Flashpro, would make even more sense. Atleast then you'd have a plausible reason to get the car tuned, if only via e-tune... Like the guys ahead had mentioned, there is literally no reason to add a better flowing i/m if the engine cannot work with what it is being "delivered".. It won't suck in more air, just because it can, you have to tell it to (hence the tune-job). And just adding the rrc i/m won't do shit if you don't have a t/b that will "allow" the engine to receive this added airflow. Tuning is a very deep game, you have to be careful what you are doing/adding, cause ALL the parts have to perform well together. Just adding parts because they supposedly are the "best" is a load of crap. Sure it will get you some gains, but to what extent?? Loss of low or high end torque, mileage, so many factors you HAVE to take into consideration... Sure, the vendors will love you dropping coinage at their shops, but are you going to be disappointed in the end?? Do the read-ups, ask questions to your hearts content.. Most questions have all been covered, use the search, and if you still have questions, do not be afraid to ask, that's what the forum is here for, for noobies, be it young or old, to find the answers. They might not all get answered, but be polite, and listen and try to comprehend what the more experienced have to say. You might get you ass chewed here and there, but it's all meant as fun.. See yourself as the new kid in town, (fresh-meat in jail lingo), so you are gonna be tested, if you can withstand the pressure. One day you too will have gathered/accumulated a certain knowledge, new parts have arrived that you may have tested, and you too can then pass-on your knowledge/wisdom/experience...
ACC-Man

·
Registered
714 Posts
we really need to make a sticky post somewhere that has a list of stages and what tuning parts shuold be installed in those steps before moving onto the next step. and also whether or not you need those parts to continue you to the next step...

like for example the tsx clubs official breakdown stage tuning stages.

stage one

recommended
*remove res box from intake + K&N drop in.
*air filter
*exhaust manifold
*catback system

optional
*de-cat

stage 2
(dont forget more power needs more stopping power)

recommended
*flashpro

thats a quick example. but you get the idea. would be easy to link people to it.

and to reply to the original post. as has allready been said invest in hondata first. rrc will work but you wont notice any gains

edit*
actually hasn’t Tottenham done a tuning guide somewhere?

Reactions: ACC-Man

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
Good idea there bro!! :tu:
I am sure we have all made some kind of mistake along the way, so this would be a fantastic help for any 'newcomers".. and too save us hammering into the keyboard, recovering/rewriting already covered infos...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've always done removal of resonators and gotten an intake system as the first thing for all of my cars.. regardless of how much of a performance difference you can feel (very slight IMO) I think it makes the engine sounds much, MUCH better, and so I think it's a good mod :)

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
Removing the resonator is a must and a great free mod!! Great recommendation for sure! This was my first mod, and the engine sound came alive.

Sure Flashpro is expensive to jump into and not the best first mod, but if you are going to start modifying your car and headed in the direction where tuning is a must, than might as well just get it out of the way now. Getting the best out of every mod can be done this route, but remember that tuning is not cheap either. The RRC isnt cheap either, but you have to pay to play when it comes to cars. It's an expensive hobby, but very gratifying.

Instead of jumping into the RRC or flashpro, you might want to sit back and plan your mods a little bit better. Money is a huge factor on car mod decisions. KANO has a great idea about this.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
@TSX714: Do yourself the favour, and register yourself, or just read the posts on the Hondata Forum. They are also an amazing source of info. It sure did me some good!! Um, there too, on the Hondata Site, you can download the Help File that comes with the Flash-Pro. Hell, you can even download the Flash-Pro Manager, and take a look at what you would be getting yourself into... There seems to be alot of misunderstanding under the newer owners, and there you can find infos to do the basics; Hooking up the new ecu, installing the Base Map, getting you started.. It looks difficult, but if you read, think, read, ask, read and then do, it will all go well... Patience is the key. (And an assload of money too....)
Acc-Man

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@TSX714: Do yourself the favour, and register yourself, or just read the posts on the Hondata Forum. They are also an amazing source of info. It sure did me some good!! Um, there too, on the Hondata Site, you can download the Help File that comes with the Flash-Pro. Hell, you can even download the Flash-Pro Manager, and take a look at what you would be getting yourself into... There seems to be alot of misunderstanding under the newer owners, and there you can find infos to do the basics; Hooking up the new ecu, installing the Base Map, getting you started.. It looks difficult, but if you read, think, read, ask, read and then do, it will all go well... Patience is the key. (And an assload of money too....)
Acc-Man
First I want to thank ALL of you for the great advice! and its given me tons to thing about not sure what you meant tho by register myself? Anyways After reviewing all of this I believe I will prob start with the resonator I am sure there are how to's on youtube about that and in addition after that I will prob go with getting the new ecu and getting it set up for when i choose to get the hondata installed. Once again thanks again for all of your input like i said its given me tons to think about but I think those will be my first steps. (f)(l)(a)(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts