Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of a clear bra?

I want to get it for my TSX, but I don't know if it'll be worth it or not. I allready have a bunch of chips on my hood and fender allready...

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
I have the 3M "Invinca-Shield" material on the leading edge of my hood, front fenders and mirrors. I did this because after 100,000 miles my Volvo looked like the front end had been shotgunned!

Only problem was that my car is white and we discovered that everything shows up! I had an indy Porsche shop do the install and wound up with some faint fingerprints on it. Looking closely at a white Porsche 911 race car they had in the shop, which had the shields applied over the rear fender flares, THAT car had the faint fingerprints, too. So I'd suspect the problem is a peculiarity of applying the 3M material to white cars. The company sent me out a replacement kit gratis, and it turned out OK the second time.

If your car is dark, the fingerprint ghosts shouldn't be a problem. At the Porsche board the general thought seemed to be that people would buy the kit, screw it up and then buy another kit and have the material applied by a professional installer. Which is why I went directly to the shop.

I don't know how well it will work after the paint has been chipped. My car had less than 100 miles on it when it was applied the first time. I have accumulated plenty of stone chips since, just not on the places covered by the shields!
:(

These new "environmentally friendly- owner unfriendly" paints absolutely suck!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bob shiftright said:

I don't know how well it will work after the paint has been chipped. My car had less than 100 miles on it when it was applied the first time. I have accumulated plenty of stone chips since, just not on the places covered by the shields!
:(

These new "environmentally friendly- owner unfriendly" paints absolutely suck!
OMG!! I've got that problem too with those stone chips outside of the clear bra coverage area...which is why I'm kinda wondering if the clear bra is worth it or not.

Are you able to spot the clear bra easier on your white TSX? Mine is SSM and I'm not sure how well the edge of the clear bra will look.

I think if I do get a clear bra, I'd only get the hood/fender/mirror kit and my headlights/fogs. I figure the bumper is plastic and I can just touch that up. And my bumper has less chips than my hood!!!!

So far, I found that the Canadian paint pens work much better for color matching than those paint bottles we get. But I swear I'm going to be an expert at applying touch up paint before the end of this summer.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went to my local 3M clear bra installer today about getting a clear bra for my TSX. A few of their employees had theirs done so the guy showed me how they looked. There was a silver Civic and I can see the line where the clear bra stops VERY clearly...even from 4 feet away. They said it's even more noticeable on darker cars. I'm wondering if they did a poor install on those. Well, I'm going to hold off on getting one for now...I'll have to get a hold of another installer to see if they have any cars that have it on for me to see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts