Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys have probally beat this topic like a dead horse but, i wanted to know if anyone had expirence with the XM radio FM modulator - is the sound Great - Sucks?

also has anyone ever tried to take out the stock radio? is there a jack that you can plug in the xm radio wire to - sort of self installation? I'll do it myself if it is easy enough.

Thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
you can hook up your XM to an SNHOND3 and use the Aux feature on your TSX. There's a few threads about them in here...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. i looked up your installation and saw the pictures. Seems easy enough. Can i ask you a couple of more questions.

Is the AUX port of the stock radio exposed once i pull the bin out as shown in your picture or do i have take apart the radio?

does the Ground Loop Isolator (optional) plug right into the SNHOND3 and from there directly into the MP3 player or xm radio?

Is there open space when i remove the bin to run the wires along the console and arm rest simlair to how you show in your pictures? or did you drill a hole behind the bin slot?

Thanks again.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Nick Papgeorgio said:
Thanks for the response. i looked up your installation and saw the pictures. Seems easy enough. Can i ask you a couple of more questions.
Yeah, it's really simple. I'd have to say the hardest part was taking out that bin...I was a bit hessitant at first...but just be cautious when taking it out that you don't scratch the sides of your center console. I just pulled it out from the inside, gripping the inside-sides.

Nick Papgeorgio said:
Is the AUX port of the stock radio exposed once i pull the bin out as shown in your picture or do i have take apart the radio?
Yup, just use a small mirror and and you should be able to locate the connection. I used my mom's compact :D

Nick Papgeorgio said:
does the Ground Loop Isolator (optional) plug right into the SNHOND3 and from there directly into the MP3 player or xm radio?
Yup, the GLI's got RCA connections before and after it. So just plug the short end into the SHOND3 and route the other end outside of the center console.

if pic doesn't show, here's a link: http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_013_000_000&product_id=270-054

Nick Papgeorgio said:
Is there open space when i remove the bin to run the wires along the console and arm rest simlair to how you show in your pictures? or did you drill a hole behind the bin slot?
Hmmm...I ran mine all the way to the ground then up into my armrest.

Do you mean if you can route the wire straight to the armrest without exposing any wires along the way?

Nick Papgeorgio said:
Thanks again.
No prob :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Yup, the GLI's got RCA connections before and after it. So just plug the short end into the SHOND3 and route the other end outside of the center console.
Using the SHOND3 with the Aux, can you plug in more then one Aux item? Say Sirius, and an iPod?
Or would you have to use them one at a time?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
Using the SHOND3 with the Aux, can you plug in more then one Aux item? Say Sirius, and an iPod?
Or would you have to use them one at a time?
you can plug whichever you want into it. At the end, it's just L/R RCA connections, just convert it to whatever your Sirius/IPod uses. You don't want to plug them both in at the same time cause they'll interfere with each other. Just plug the one you're going to listen to and you're good to go.

BTW, if you've got Navi, there's a different install for it. I think Vik might know...I forgot if his previous TSX had navi or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
-Again thanks for the Help (you guys have given some sick idea's . . . MP3, ipod players.) _ you make it look easy. i hope it is i dont want to use the xm radio using the FM modulator - XM's website says the quality is not as great.

Do you mean if you can route the wire straight to the armrest without exposing any wires along the way?

What i meant was the RCA wires comming from the just installed Shond3 - can i run them behind the bin (work space)down the console to the carpet and along the side like you have it posted without drilling holes? i want the wires to be hiden. In other words how did you run the final wire to the MP3? haha ha. Oh yeah - i assume the bin has two small screws holding it into place right? i havent looked yet, but thats what its looks like. How did you grip the bin to pull out?

THanks.

Be patient with me i'ma :newbie:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
BTW, if you've got Navi, there's a different install for it. I think Vik might know...I forgot if his previous TSX had navi or not.
Thanks a million Henry :thumbsup:

Joker - who has the navi, and goes to get Vik :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yep - I had navi. I believe it is the EXACT same install. Once you pull out the bin (yes, as previously mentioned, it will take some effort and you will think you are breaking it, but you are not). Use a mirror to see up there... if I remember correctly you pull out the wire harness thats in there... plug it into the SNHOND3, and plug the harness at the other end of the snhond3 into the navi unit (where you pulled the first one out) you are basicallly putting the snhond3 in sequence between the current wires there and the one from the snhond3.

You then plug in the GLI to the SNHOND3, and you will have one set of inputs for audio. IF you want more than one input, I am FAIRLY posotive you can purchase a splitter and add multiple inputs - but if you do this... (lets say you are using XM and an Ipod) you will have to turn the power to the XM off in order to hear the ipod, and vice versa - you will have to turn the power off to the ipod to hear the XM.

If you want, you can probably get a SWITCHER and push a button on the switcher to choose which audio input feed you are taking... this is probably not going to have a clean install - as you will have to put the switcher box somewhere - but it is easily done.

Let me know if this is what you needed (i didnt read through the whole thread guys, lol, cramming last final tomorrow morning... 7AM!)

I will check back tomorrow and if I completely missed the point of calling me - let me know.

Vik

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
vp911 said:
IF you want more than one input, I am FAIRLY posotive you can purchase a splitter and add multiple inputs - but if you do this... (lets say you are using XM and an Ipod) you will have to turn the power to the XM off in order to hear the ipod, and vice versa - you will have to turn the power off to the ipod to hear the XM.
Perfect!!
That answered my question. Thanks Vik!! :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hmmm...I thought the installation was a little different... My bad :D

Nick, I'll get some illustrations for ya sometime this week and show you. :nod:

Anything to help :nod:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final 2 Questions I Promise

....Regarding AUX SHOND install. On the factory installed non-navi radio is there a wire already plugged into the stock radio? If so, what did you guys do with it after you unplugged it to put in the new SHOND wire? Does it screw somthing else up?

Once the mp3 plyaer or Xm radio is installed does the stock radio reconize the aux connection when you hit CD/AUX button? Does the steering controls work? (my guess is that the don't)

Thanks again. after i get this xm radio for xmas i will try to install this shit without ******* things up.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I dont know about the non-navi (if there is a wire or not) but, if there is... plug it into the ohter end of the snhond3... nothing gets screwed up... you just gain access to the rca inputs

steering wheel controls dont work (well except volume).... yes, it recognizes that the aux input is there... you just have to push the cd/aux button to switch between the xm/mp3 and the cd player...

dont worry, you wont **** it up... its a fairly simple install.. .if you dont feel comfortable doing it...take these instructions to a car stereo place and they can do it QUICKLY.. lol

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Ok...sister was visiting from CA this past week/end to set up wedding plans... I'll try to get those pics I mentioned above this week :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
The connection that you see where you plug in the SNHOND3 is a part of the stock radio. So all you have to do it just plug in the SNHOND3 and you're all set to use the AUX feature on your TSX. As Vik said, you will not be able to control the MP3/XM device with the controls, but you can control the volume of your stereo. With an MP3 player, you'll have two volume controls to play with. 1. on your MP3 player and 2. on your stereo.

Feel free to ask more questions. That's what we're here for; to make sure you are comfortable with the installation so you can do it with ease. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
vp911 said:
dont worry, you wont **** it up... its a fairly simple install.. .if you dont feel comfortable doing it...take these instructions to a car stereo place and they can do it QUICKLY.. lol
lol thanks for the vote of confidence!! I'm sure i can do it, the only thing that has got me worried is removing the bin!! Those things are made with small cheap plastic parts.!!

Thanks again guys!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts