Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fitted the 06-08 intake cam into a 04-06 tsx

without fitting the increased VTC

is there actually a noticeable difference?

as every post i have read has been the newer intake cam fitted with the increased VTC and how much of an improvement it makes.

but what about without the vtc?

the reason i ask is i want to fit the newer intake cam with 45* VTC but is the cam worth it or would i see the same gains on my current 04 intake cam with increased VTC?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Check out the June issue of import tuner. They performed the cam swap your asking about. I wish I would have read it before buying the vtc.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the second issue online yet?

why do you wish you read it before the VTC?

i swear they only installed the VTC and not the cam in the powerpages review? or am i blind?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Because the vtc by itself on a stock vehicle has the ability to add a marginal amount but after a few mods you add maybe 1-2 hp. I bought it thinking it was a supporting type mod like larger fuel lines. But it just isn't the case. I'm just gonna keep mine though and change it when the timing chaine needs to be done because of it being such a labor intensive mod. The mag makes a little more sense of it than maybe I did.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
U need to advance ur vtc to reap most of the gains. Just dropping in 06 cams will net u minimal gains. Just look for stock dyno difference of 04 compared to an 06.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Because the vtc by itself on a stock vehicle has the ability to add a marginal amount but after a few mods you add maybe 1-2 hp. I bought it thinking it was a supporting type mod like larger fuel lines. But it just isn't the case. I'm just gonna keep mine though and change it when the timing chaine needs to be done because of it being such a labor intensive mod. The mag makes a little more sense of it than maybe I did.
Do you mind if I ask where you got your VTC? Did you get a 25 degree one machined to 45 degrees or did you get a 50 degree one with a mechanical stop?

Everything I've read says that you need those extra 20 degrees to really maximize the k24's potential.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I bought a pinned 45* from hytech. It does and doesnt. In the article, if you read it, they did it last and after full intake and 07+ cams and full exhaust it only added 1-2 HP and little tq. So with bolt ons imo its not worth it until you have to do the timing chain and your gonna have
$ and time in the chain.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Do you mind if I ask where you got your VTC? Did you get a 25 degree one machined to 45 degrees or did you get a 50 degree one with a mechanical stop?

Everything I've read says that you need those extra 20 degrees to really maximize the k24's potential.
from what i've been told, its best not to get it the TSX gear machined since it needs to be precise. given the amount of movement involved with the gear, any inaccuracy in the machining could lead to issues. the best thing to do is get a new 50* gear pinned or add the mechanical stopper. Hytech even mentions that its best to use a new gear as sometimes the vanes and oil seals in the gear itself can weaken over time in a used gear.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your answers guys.

yea i plan on getting the 06-08 intake cam with 45* VTC

as i plan to try and saty all oem honda just wanted to make sure the cam was actually a worth while mod.

also thinking about it.

drop in cams? are they machined to work better with the standard 25* VTC ?

or would the drop in cams benefit from the advancement of the VTC aswell?

·
Registered
248 Posts
thanks for your answers guys.

yea i plan on getting the 06-08 intake cam with 45* VTC

as i plan to try and saty all oem honda just wanted to make sure the cam was actually a worth while mod.

also thinking about it.

drop in cams? are they machined to work better with the standard 25* VTC ?

or would the drop in cams benefit from the advancement of the VTC aswell?
all drop in cams are safe till 45 VTC ! All cams has benefits from the advancement, of course I don't talk about stage 4 or 5 ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Another keyboard tuners opinion thread ))

You guys need to study one thing - never, never , never look at peak numbers, they speak nothing bout how engine performs in real world. Always look on a space under curves. Before and after. Advanced VTC gives awesome low and midrange where your engine works 99% of all the time. Ok , maybe 90% of all the time. Rememeber that you need to spin your revs to see top end and they comes through low and mid and the car accelerates as good at that time as your low and mid power is.

50 VTC is a MUST HAVE thing and it MUST be tuned properly. The torque youll open with it will amaze you. Its like a free power bonus without killing engine longevity with high revs.

All those stoppers and so on is a garbage in a balanced part. VTC is driven by ECU so tune it by ECU not by the crap inside.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another keyboard tuners opinion thread ))

You guys need to study one thing - never, never , never look at peak numbers, they speak nothing bout how engine performs in real world. Always look on a space under curves. Before and after. Advanced VTC gives awesome low and midrange where your engine works 99% of all the time. Ok , maybe 90% of all the time. Rememeber that you need to spin your revs to see top end and they comes through low and mid and the car accelerates as good at that time as your low and mid power is.

50 VTC is a MUST HAVE thing and it MUST be tuned properly. The torque youll open with it will amaze you. Its like a free power bonus without killing engine longevity with high revs.

All those stoppers and so on is a garbage in a balanced part. VTC is driven by ECU so tune it by ECU not by the crap inside.
I agree with everything in your above statements except when you say that stoppers are garbage. They give you "piece of mind".. to some it doesn't matter but it does for others. I didn't use any stoppers but I should.. my motor is built and with my cams, VTC maxed out at 35*. I'm alil worried and won't be driving and throwing gears recklessly. I've been without any stopper for over a year with no issues so its not a bad thing running without one.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
I agree with everything in your above statements except when you say that stoppers are garbage. They give you "piece of mind".. to some it doesn't matter but it does for others. I didn't use any stoppers but I should.. my motor is built and with my cams, VTC maxed out at 35*. I'm alil worried and won't be driving and throwing gears recklessly. I've been without any stopper for over a year with no issues so its not a bad thing running without one.
Are you maxing out at 35* to be safe or because there's no additional benefit to go higher on your setup?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Are you maxing out at 35* to be safe or because there's no additional benefit to go higher on your setup?
Yea we clayed the motor and 35* was the highest we could go safely on my setup. Big cams usually don't see more than 35* so I'm not surprised, I just wanted to be certain I wasn't limiting my build..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.